a year ago

8:55 PM missusmonroe 0 Comments

NYC Brooklyn Bridge, semester before I graduated January 2017
Last year I was frustrated with a relationship that wouldn’t love me back how I needed it to. Last year I was disappointed in myself through and through. Last year I walked the stage but I didn’t get my diploma just yet. Last year I was the epitome of overwhelmed. Last year I was shunned, seen as a disgrace and a waste of time. Last year I had to swallow my pride. Last year I discovered I had to retake one of my most challenging courses. Last year I had to find a place of my own. Last year I was alone. Last year one of my greatest accomplishments to date was seen as despicable. Last year I didn’t know what would happen.. Last year I was fired. Last year what I thought was my ticket out was an embarrassing shitshow. Last year I watched things align for others and felt as though I could not get my shit together to save my dear life. Last year I had to worry about everybody but myself. Last year I was the epitome of poor. Last year what was supposed to be my day of celebration, I never even got to enjoy. Last year I saw hope, but not a lot of it.



A year later I reflect on my last year, I remember a promise and goal I made to myself. That last May, six months into the future, when I would get my diploma or drop out of school, whichever came first, I’d be out of here a year from that date. I would be pursuing my destination head on and full force and I would not let anyone or anything stop me. A few weeks after finally conferring my degree and during extremely trying times where nothing was looking up, food was sparse, energy low, creativity surprisingly moderate but resources wiped and motivation nearly nonexistent… a door opened and an offer came along with it. At the time I could hardly imagine my same shitshow would turn around and be a saving grace. That it would be my saving grace.

A year ago I never would have imagined not being in contact with certain people I once trusted with my life, never would have imagined so many promises broken. I never would have imagined so much strife, so many laughs, so many tears. God being God and good is an understatement but I’m never not in awe of her work. I am just so proud to actually be aligned with my forseen path, proud to be chosen for blessings yet still. After so many mistakes, after so many fumbles and blatant confusion, after what feels like an eternity of deterrents. And I’m damn proud of myself for always remaining the me that never gives up on me. The me that nobody made to be here but the me who got herself here ~along with my otherworldly guidance. The me that sometimes nobody wants to love but is alright because she has enough love for herself to cover the lost tenfold. Words cannot describe the happiness that moves through my body nor the silent understanding of everything up until this point. Everything and many people had to go in order for me to be given the privilege of living fully and presently in these very moments. To be able to look out these windows onto the bustling, loudass streets and hear the silence in the noise. Things I thought were alignments but clearly showed themselves as non had to literally be shed, ripped from my skin like a python leaving behind her old self, stripped from my heart.. my heart, thoughts, and spirit in order for me to submerge myself, in actuality not in my make-believe that I believe is truth, in my new experiences solely for me. 
Just. Me.
Every first action, every sighting, every solo trip, skip, dance… I may think of the passersby here or the passerby there but I will remember myself first in all of these first moments. These moments don’t get to be given to anybody else. I want them for me. For my keeping, not my sharing.
Last year I had to be worried about so many people, so many moving parts. Last year I was making everything up as I went along, the heaviest of thoughts weighing down my buoyancy. This year I am taking flight. Watch me.

Wall Street, NYC, May 14, 2018. Also known as current day
xxoo missusmonroe

0 comments: