Lemonade at NYFW

10:51 PM missusmonroe 0 Comments

Image captured and edited by Shakira Hunt of http://www.shakirahunt.com/

What feels like a lifetime ago, I wrote a piece called "Tears for NYFW" dramatically produced to reflect my dramatic ass feelings of missed opportunities. Re-reading that post makes me smile and shake my head in laughter because I had no idea how I wanted to get to New York Fashion Week, how to get into any show at all however I was beating myself up about not being at what I'd always seen as my mecca. You know, you see the street-style photos and the front-row shots. In my head that was just a "you made it" aspiration and I was so crazy yet so fueled and determined to reach it with little to no direction and absolutely no idea of where to even begin. I was just like, I'll just show up and somehow it'll get it.

Well I was kinda right. Looking back, I was so right about a lot of things and how I just knew numerous things were achievable for me. It's my second season of Fashion Week, honestly I barely count the Fall cause I dub that as me just being a well-dressed observer on some real shit, and a bitch was over here front and center, name practically on seats and shit. I honestly can't believe what was unfathomable five years ago fell on my lap with little to no effort in the days of today. The days of today where so many things are awry or going left and are so complicated and difficult.


Life is weird, you can feel so blessed and grateful for your life at the exact moment you feel like running away from the stress, mistakes, and anxiety all coming at you at once; the things you can't control will have you amazed at your luck and how the universe is working in your favor in one moment and reaching for a noose in the next. I've been at both extremes. But while you're "down", remember that those moments are the exact ones that will get you to those successful days. The motivation you have when you feel like you have nothing or you may not be much is the groundwork for everything great coming. But it will never feel like it. You have to remind yourself that every rainy day waters the flowers of tomorrow. You have to, for the sake of you.


These images are the beauty of a photographer I met in a rush to get into Spring Studios. I hate when I'm frazzled and rushing because it takes away my ability to properly rationalize. Thank God the shots came out as beautiful as they did cause my mind was not on it at all, then afterward when all was still I was all Damn I should've been present and focused my attention. Well thank you self for not doing too much, because then we get images like these! 
I had no idea what I was even going to wear, this season was so budget-friendly because when I tell you I reached back into my old techniques of piecing outfits together... baybeee I needed that. I've been too "oh I'll just order something" instead of reworking what I have like back in the good 'ol days. I really got a taste of that again and look at the results. I did not realize how far removed I was from some of my old mental but boy did it smack me in the face. This blazer was a one-off purchase for my birthday that I honestly thought I'd never make use of again cause I didn't even love how it turned out then and quite honestly I just didn't love it. But I love shapes and wanted to remind the world of what bold ass structures and rigid corners can do in terms of a statement. Blazers, shapes, black and white...all forever style staples and in no way can they truly be done wrong. The cowboy boots came naturally and the hair? Well, how could I not do my favorite look period ~slick back~ but with braids? It all came together as if it were meant to be...

xxoo missusmonroe


Backstage at Pier59 Studios




Bibhu Mohapatra F/W '19



Anna Sui F/W '19




0 comments: